Monday, October 12, 2009

I Became my own Path Julia de Burgos Reflection

Julia de Burgos was orn in 1917 in Carolina, Puerto Rico, she graduated from the University of Puerto Rico and later taught there. Too rebellious and too independent to accept the limitations of traditional women’s roles in Latino culture of time she made her own way to not accept the reality of the Woman be a lesser person. In her famous poem "I became my own path" she writes "I wanted to be like men wanted me to be". This basically shows the inferiority of the treatment of Women in the Puerto Rican culture back in the day. She goes on to say that it was like playing a game of hide and seek to find the real her. This poem was all about defining herself as an independent person, not to be gripped by the fear of man. I believe that Julia brought the aspect of women wanting to be free from the materialistic and overbearing society to light. This poem opened up my mind to the reality of a submissive women in the Puerto rican culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment