Friday, October 16, 2009

Ode to the Diasporican (Pa mi gente) Reflection

This poem describe the typical Nueyorican. It is written from the perspective of a girl that was born in Spanish Harlem. She is torn between the United States lifestyle and the Puerto Rican lifestyle. One line that justifies this is when the author says
"Some people think that I'm not bonafide
Cuz my playground was a concrete jungle
Cuz my Rio Grande de Loiza was the Bronx River
Cuz my fajardo was City Island"

This shows a confusion between two cultures. At the end of the poem she starts to get emotional when saying " What does it take to realize that being Boriqua is a state of mind". I love the line where is says "No naci en puerto Rico, Puerto Rico nacio en mi. This shows that no matter waht anyone says Puerto Rico lives in me. I have a lot of respect for this poem because I feel the same way being born in America and being Indian. I beleive the culture lives in me and no one can take that away.

No comments:

Post a Comment